Intermediate study will deepen your understanding of the materials, refine your use of techniques, and leave you with new and more nuanced ways of working with water gilding.
This intermediate level course is suitable for those interested in developing skills and methods for surface and color work utilizing patina, embellishing and toning techniques. You will receive six days of hands-on instruction in the practice of traditional water gilding, with an emphasis on consistent application of gesso, bole and gold leaf in preparation for further embellishment of the finish.
It is said that this is where gilding begins. Here, you will learn how to create various water gilded finishes and expand into more nuanced ways of working with the materials in order to prepare, water gild, patina and embellish panels of various sizes, mock-up furniture samples and story boards on a variety of substrates.
Length of Study
Who it’s for
Gilders, furniture makers, frame makers, bookbinders, illuminators, sculptors, applied artists, visual artists, designers, conservators, restorers, collectors
What you will learn
- Techniques in double gilding and burnishing; punch work; scribing; distressing; lifting the gild; patina; matage; and toning
- Tips and techniques for working on a variety of substrates
- Best practices for the preparation, gilding, patina and embellishment of different size panels, mock-up furniture samples and storyboards
- Various options for top coating with protective finish
- How to plan, design layouts and manage the production of multiple projects
- How to estimate your time and materials in order to create a proposal
What you will leave with
- Materials, tools, supply and resource lists
- A bibliography
- More advanced knowledge to pursue your own independent projects
Experience with the preparation and use of traditional gesso and bole as well as experience handling loose leaf. Water Gilding: Foundation Study, Introduction to Traditional Materials & Techniques is encouraged but not mandatory.
Other Water Gilding Workshops
INQUIRE with me to discuss educational resources and opportunities